Difference between revisions of "Home"
(added template:Category Hierarchy)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Revision as of 11:35, 19 January 2019
Welcome to Marspedia!
The collaborative resource for exploring and settling the Red Planet.
Statistics: 652 articles | 1,130 uploads | 164 registered contributors | 9 administrators
Terraforming Mars is a process by which scientists hope to convert Mars into an Earth-like planet, providing an atmosphere within tolerable limits for human survival. NASA and other science organizations have been discussing a process called terraforming for a very long time. Terraform means to make like Earth. Many proposals have been submitted on the best way to make Mars like Earth. The timelines proposed have varied from 100 years to 100,000 years. Logic dictates finding a balance between moving too fast and too slow. If we terrraform too fast, we may end up with a runaway greenhouse effect similar to what we see on Venus. If we move too slowly, we run the risk of other complications, such as the natural rhythms of the Red Planet changing during the process which could interfere and complicate any progress we may be making. Terraforming Mars is of utmost importance in order to learn to live on other worlds. Humanity must have the ability to be a multi-planet species in order to preserve Homo sapiens for millions or billions of years.
How You Can Help
Join the Marspedia Project! Help us to create an online encyclopedia about Mars!
Here's how you can help
- If you have an article already written, submit via this Google Form.
- Sign up for a new account.
- Refine an Article Stub into something more complete.
- Write a new article for something on our list of Needed Articles.
- Tidy up an article that is listed in our Cleanup Category.
- Join the Editorial & Technical Subcommittees.
- Submit Your Content to Marspedia and we can add it to the wiki for you!
How to Edit the Wiki
- Use the "Edit" button on any page to make use of our Visual Editor. Here's its Help Guide.
- Use the "Edit Source" button on any page to use the code-based editor. Here's a list of Wiki codes you can use.
How to Search & Browse the Wiki
- Use the Search Page or the top Search box to quickly locate articles.
- Use the Category Tree (or click "Browse" in the left navigation) to look through the index we've set up.
- Use the All Pages feature of Mediawiki to locate anything in the wiki.
The Latest News from
- NASA’s Perseverance Rover Just Turned Martian CO2 Into Oxygen (Apr 22)
- NASA’s Ingenuity Mars Helicopter Succeeds in Historic First Flight (Apr 19)
- NASA’s InSight Mars lander is going into emergency hibernation. If it can’t save its batteries, it could die. (Apr 15)
- The Golden Box That Could Create Oxygen on Mars (Mar 30)
- The first self-sufficient and sustainable cities on Mars could house one million humans (Mar 23)
- NASA’s Perseverance Has Landed (Feb 18)
- China’s Tianwen-1 Mission Successfully Begins Mars Orbit (Feb 17)
- Hope spacecraft enters Mars orbit, making history for UAE (Feb 10)
- NASA’s ‘Mars Helicopter’ Ingenuity will reach the Red Planet next month (Jan 26)
- NASA video shows Perseverance rover’s planned ‘terror’ landing on Mars (Dec 26)
- How NASA Built a Self-Driving Car for Its Next Mars Mission (Jul 21)
- The United Arab Emirates successfully launches its first spacecraft bound for Mars (Jul 20)
- Mars missions: NASA, China and the UAE launch new spacecraft this month (Jul 13)
- NASA Seeking US Citizens for Social Isolation Study for Moon and Mars Missions (May 22)
- What A Simulated Mars Mission Taught Me About Food Waste (Apr 15)
- Marspedia policies
- Software Capabilities
- Content Licenses
- Content on Marspedia is Public Domain unless otherwise noted.
- Articles that have specific content licenses will be tagged as such.
- Disclaimer: The content licenses used on Marspedia do not apply to other wikis in our Interwiki network.
News about Marspedia
- Jan 14, 2020 - Marspedia volunteers led by Michel Lamontagne complete first version of clickable Mars Atlas.
- Dec 5, 2019 - 2019 Annual Report on Marspedia, presented by James Burk at the 22nd Annual Mars Society Convention.
- Mar 5, 2019 - The New Category Hierarchy and our custom Category Selection Tool (part of the MediaWiki Visual Editor) have now been rolled out to Marspedia.
- Sep 15, 2018 - James Burk and Frank Crossman present the last year's progress on Marspedia at the 21st Annual Mars Society Convention.
- May 7, 2018 - Marspedia Editorial Subcommittee finishes work on a new Category hierarchy covering Human exploration & settlement topics.
- Dec 31, 2017 - The Moon Society recounts the recent history of Marspedia in latest Moon Miners' Manifesto newsletter.
- Nov 17, 2017 - The Mars Society officially announces its involvement in Marspedia and calls for volunteers to help.